firmware Re: IMEI

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 21:43:59 CEST 2008

On 3 Aug 2008, at 20:31, Esben Stien wrote:
> Learning It <learningit at rocketmail.com> writes:
>
>> It means that this project is not totaly open to community....hmmm
>
> Really none of the firmware is open. We should be looking at putting
> GNU Radio inside the Neo;). Has anyone looked into this?. It shouldn't
> be illegal to sell such a device, cause GNU Radio boards are not
> illegal. There also is a GSM project related to GNU Radio to do the
> whole GSM stack in software, to my understanding.

Your last sentence surprises me. I don't think a device running GNU
Radio (or whatever) would be licensable - it would probably be
illegal to sell or use it as a phone. I would think any device sold
as a phone would have to be licensed by the FCC or whoever, and that
they would make requirements that the device must be unable to do X,
Y & Z (where these are things that might interfere with other users),
which would be impossible to guarantee with fully-open firmware.

Stroller.