Testing for audio playback

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Mon Aug 4 04:41:54 CEST 2008

Maybe this is more of a standard linux question, but I don't know the
answer regardless.

Is there a way to test if sound is actually being pumped through the
sound card? I can lsof various devices in /dev/snd or check
/proc/asound/card0/pcmXX/sub0/status but those only tell me if a
client is *connected*. Furthermore, I find it odd that the phone-kit
does not seem to go through the alsa pcm but is only connected to
/dev/snd/controlC0. Is there some way to know if the phone kit
actually active?

My ultimate goal is to stop the device from going into suspend mode
when sound is being played.

Thanks.

--
Dylan Maxwell Reilly