Testing for audio playback

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Mon Aug 4 17:18:50 CEST 2008

I do not want to test if the sound is working but if audio is
currently being processed by the card.

For example, I find in bothersome that the freerunner will suspend
while I am listening to music or using it as a phone. My hope is that
there is/are some test(s) I can issue programatically that will tell
me if one of those two events are occurring.

As I mentioned, I can easily determine if a program has bound itself
to the sound card (e.g., lsof) but not if audio is actually streaming.
In particular, the phone kit is always bound to the card so lsof is
not a useful test in that case.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Yogiz <yogizz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to test if sound is actually being pumped through the
>> sound card? I can lsof various devices in /dev/snd or check
>> /proc/asound/card0/pcmXX/sub0/status but those only tell me if a
>> client is *connected*. Furthermore, I find it odd that the phone-kit
>> does not seem to go through the alsa pcm but is only connected to
>> /dev/snd/controlC0. Is there some way to know if the phone kit
>> actually active?
> I'm probably just misunderstanding you, but why not test the sound card
> with a random audio file. Or run 'speaker-test'.

Dylan Maxwell Reilly