Testing for audio playback

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Mon Aug 4 21:19:18 CEST 2008

I was thinking of that. My only concern is what to do if the
application died and did not get to restore the suspend state back to
its previous value.

For what its worth, there is a gconf setting for the suspend state
that can be set. Neod is supposed to monitor it but the gconf callback
is not working for some reason. I am looking into that atm. Gconf
would be the easy way for other apps to control the suspend state.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Russell Sears <sears at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Just a heads up:  I think that checking the status won't work with
> pulseaudio running under 2007.2, since pulseaudio continuously sends a
> stream of zeros to the sound card.  I haven't tested it though.
>
> (there is a pulseaudio configuration option for this.)
>
> Also, I think having the applications disable suspend would be better
> than letting some system-level daemon guess what the appropriate
> behavior is.
>
> Then audio activity and suspend wouldn't be coupled (eg: tangoGPS while
> recording GPS tracks...).  Also, applications already communicate with
> the rest of the system, so there's probably a framework for such hooks
> somewhere.  For example, mediaplayer mutes/pauses when a phone call
> comes in...
>
> -Rusty

Dylan Maxwell Reilly