Third request: what *is* the warranty on the Freerunner?

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Mon Aug 4 22:42:46 CEST 2008

ian douglas wrote:
> Guys,
>
> My intention was not to create a message thread for people to vent about
> what they like or not about the Freerunner. I created the thread to get
> an official stance from Openmoko about the state of the warranty, and if
> it would cover any hardware fix offered by OM for the GPS/SD problems.

And a good thread it was too :)

I am also very curious about the potential GSM fixes. Will these be done by sending it back, or will
it be something us hackers can do (and soldering sub-micron capacitors to invisible traces I do not
consider your average hacker can do, and I have been playing with a soldering iron for 35 years, and
I would not attempt it :)

The GSM problems particularly worry me, because it does make the phone useless as a phone and I need
to know if I need to go buy another phone as a primary phone or not. Whereas problems with GPS &
SDCARDS are not show stoppers for me.

If it worked fine with a BT headset I could also use it happily. (Of course if we discover a fatal
H/W flaw that prevents even BT headsets from working that is also a show stopper for me)

So please OM head honchos, get together and please give us a definitive statement as to what the
after sales support will be for any serious Hardware issues discovered after shipping.

Thanks
Jim

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com