S-Media's self-damaging NDA-happiness

Aaron Sowry aaron at aeneby.com
Tue Aug 5 14:17:18 CEST 2008

>> Does this scenario work well for S Media?
>>

> No. Their NDA-happiness does seem very stupid, as they don't seem to
> have much of an edge against the bigger players besides their lack of
> overt hostility to free software development. (Okay, possibly cost, but
> I wouldn't know about that.)

It does seem stupid. I know that some larger GPU manufacturers are often
forced into de-facto NDAs by the film industry and prominent software
companies (no need to name names) so that people can't potentially write
drivers to bypass DRM technology, but it's not like people are going to
be watching 1080p HD content on their Freerunners. Does anyone from
SMedia subscribe to this mailing-list, or does anyone know how we can
get in touch with them to ask the relevant questions?

I don't believe that writing direct to the framebuffer solves anything
as far as graphic performance is concerned, I think we need a graphic
accelerator that works and can be coded for.

Aaron