cpu-speed limitations

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Aug 5 17:32:08 CEST 2008

> I don't think that this is necessarily the case.  OM people have
> lots of
> fish to fry and writing a acceleration code running inside the Glamo
> probably isn't *the* most important thing to be working on.  Getting
> the
> core kernel, device libraries and some application software working
> IMHO
> *is* the most important thing.

The thing is though, these sorts of things can be done by people who
haven't signed an NDA to get access to the docs.  It makes no sense to
me that the only people who can do something about the pitiable Glamo
situation are instead worrying about other stuff that the rest of the
community, unencumbered by NDA's, can handle ..

> I think you might be shooting the wrong people here.  S.Media are the
> 'bad' guys as they won't/can't provide the documentation.  However, if
> this were always the case then maybe the Glamo was a poor choice.
> However, I imagine that it *was* the right decision _at_the_time_ the
> decision was made; everything is clearer with hindsight and everybody
> *thinks* they would've made a better decision.

Sure, sure.  I just wish that the most pressing issues of non-
operating hardware were being properly addressed.  I don't think its
cool to buy a phone that has features that go unused, just because
we've got an NDA situation going on.  We in the Open Source community
can route around that damage, and it seems the only way to handle that
right now is if the 'official' folks in OpenMoko address the issue.

It would be a terrible shame if, after all the 'more important work'
gets done, Glamo gets ignored because 'now its time to build new
hardware'.  I think it'd be rotten, in fact.

;
--
Jay Vaughan