GPS rework: Please test and report on software fix prior to attempting any hardware fix

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 16:53:46 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Agreed. I've been trying to gather that information for the past little
> while. It's proven rather elusive, and I didn't want more people to try
> the hardware fix until we really understand what the software fix can
> do, so I thought I'd better ask for the test ASAP, and then continue
> working on the info.
>
> Andy, can you provide links to two kernels: one before, and one after
> the fix?

IIRC the first kernel to have the sd_drive and sd_idleclk fixes in was from
20080723, but this seems to have been removed from the buildhost now. Or did
you mean the fix to slow down the SD clock while GPS is enabled that was
added Friday? In either case I think t can be configured to behave as it did
before the fix by echoing the right variables into /sys/wherever and
accessing the SD card.

> The test will consist something like
>
> cat /dev/ttySAC1 | grep GPGGA
>
> and then time it until it gets a fix. I'll be more specific.

For a bit more consistency of timing, less manual intervention, and enough
readings to get an idea of the run to run variation in that location, can I
suggest a script? It could do with a timeout when waiting for a fix since
with deivestrength 3 and idleclk 1 this can take a _very_ long time, possibly
forever in some locations!

#!/bin/sh
PASSES=10
TTFF=""

get_ttf() {
  echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gps.0/pwron
  TTFF=`(time grep "GPRMC,[0-9\.]*,A," -m 1 /dev/ttySAC1) 2>&1 |grep real`
  echo "0" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gps.0/pwron
  echo $DRIVESTRENGTH $IDLECLK $TTFF
  sleep 20
}

echo d i time
until [ $PASSES -eq 0 ]
do
  for DRIVESTRENGTH in 0 1 2 3
  do
    for IDLECLK in 0 1
    do
      #echo testing drive strength $DRIVESTRENGTH and clock idle $IDLECLK
      echo $DRIVESTRENGTH > /sys/module/glamo_mci/parameters/sd_drive
      echo $IDLECLK > /sys/module/glamo_mci/parameters/sd_idleclk
      touch /media/card/gpstest
      sync
      get_ttf
    done