GPS rework: Please test and report on software fix prior to attempting any hardware fix

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 10:55:31 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Andy Green wrote:
> | d i   min /  avg / max
> | 0 0  35.20/ 55.33/144.30   <===
> | 0 1  37.39/ 77.76/315.76
> |
> | 3 0  36.07/ 42.07/ 47.82   <===
> | 3 1  97.46/173.09/359.69
>
> These relative numbers are a bit counterintuitive... it might be worth
> trying it again from a "very cold boot" but with the script

From experience writing the script I think they look within the normal range
of variation for a FR sitting near a window, and that if you increased PASSES
the stats for all of the IDLECLK=0  runs would look the same if the card
wasn't being exercised. I got to see a lot of such apparently
counterintuitive results before I forced access to the card after writing the
sysfs entries! From the same location some runs have a best ttff of ~150s
while others are consistent at around 35-40s. Some start with good ttff, go
through a period of poor ttff then back to good again. This would be more
visible if people posted the raw results rather than the statistics.

I suspect from a couple of observations that a GSM register may make ttff
longer, but I don't have any data to back that up - it may just have been
unlucky. Any ideas on how GSM status could be factored in?

I suppose I should post some results too. Note the 2 results where there seems
to have been a GPRMC result sitting in a serial buffer or something.