Navit?

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 6 13:40:29 CEST 2008

arne anka wrote:
>> gpsd-devel.i386                          2.34-3.fc7
>> development
>>

> this should be the right one -- lock inside (yum might be able to list the
> content), it should have some or more files ending with .h

I can't see a yum option to list files, but there's an info command
which gives me the following, among other things:
 This package provides C header files for the gpsd shared libraries
that manage access to a GPS for applications; also Python modules.

This makes me think that you're probably correct, and that this is what
I want.

Trying to install this puts me into a dependency hell I created a long
time ago when I knew a lot less and installed two incompatible
repositories, the solution which I found being 'don't update'. I'll see
if I can get it to install without causing a disaster (It's currently
resolving dependencies), but as previously indicated it's not that
important anymore, so if it's going to uninstall a heap of my programs I
won't worry about it..
> (snip)
> until error messages advise otherwise, i think that's not necessary. after
> all, you're just linking an app aganinst a well known and available lib.
>

>> but in my experience, things I install with yum are precompiled... would
>>

> not necessarily (there are actually src.rpm). the devel-packages conatin
> additional, usually platform independent, informations like the .h files
> and .la, which basically provide informations how other applications may
> play together with this app (libgps in our case).

Aha, I see, so this will install the required gps.h file, among other
things...

>> I install the -devel package with yum and then use 'rpm -ql' (list
>> package files) to find the files I need?
>>

> you can do rpm -ql if you're curious about the packages contents, but on
> any distribution conforming to lsb there are well defined pathes to
> install those files into and to look for.
> thus, the compiler should be able to finde the necessary files without any
> further action on your side.
>

>> wouldn't I actually want to
>> install a source package (probably named something like "gpsd-src")?
>>

> only if you want to build gps yourself.
> in the rare case, there is absolutely no devel package available, you
> might use a source package as well, since it contains that .h and .la
> files as well -- but that requires a certain amount of configuration to
> make the compiler find them.

I understand! Thanks alot for clearing up my confusion! :) I'll let you
know if I manage to get it installed.

-Dale