FR at golem.de

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Aug 6 15:35:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 15:19 +0200, Michele Renda wrote:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:35 +0200, Tobias Kündig wrote:
> >> This is the worst review I ever read from Golem.
> >>
> >> So many mistakes. They bought their Freerunner and wrote the review. I
> >> bet they haven't tested it for more than 1 day.
> >>
> > Fow how long do you think you should check a device before
> > writing a review? I find the review ok. It is very clear that
> > the tester doesn't has to be an expert in this domain. And
> > I found most points to be true. What are the big mistakes in
> > it that makes this review so horrible?
> >
> > The conclusion is that you get a linux computer with many
> > possibilities from which the most are not made available , yet.
> > And it is quite unusable as phone. All true for me.
> > I can't use it as my daily phone and I know how to tweak the device.
> > And that is the same openmoko says about their own product. So
> > where is the problem?
> >

> I think that before to test something you must to know what are you
> testing. You can not to test a phone and than to say:
>
> Oh... it is stupid, it is not able to prepare me a coffee :)

Nobody expected from a mobile phone that it should be able to make
coffee. But you can expect from a mobile phone to make phone calls,
can't you? From a PDA you can even expect to have a addressbook
where you can store and find addresses, can't you? To be extremely
biased towards this device does not help anyone.

>From the view point of a mobile phone the freerunner is the second worst
device (nokia communicator 9100 was much worse :)) I ever saw. From the
perspective of an open mobile platform it is coolest thing invented
since sliced bread.

my 2 cents,

Norbert