Opening the Glamo

Aaron Sowry aaron at aeneby.com
Thu Aug 7 14:03:51 CEST 2008

>> So, I think, making pessure to the firm that produce Glamo, is the only
>> possibility to get very open our hardware.
>>

> Given the legal situation, I agree. Let's pester them with a ton of emails! :)
> Maybe we could get the FSF and GNU into this as well? We might as well
> use all the armies at once, for greater impact... ;)
> Maybe we could collect information about good examples of HW firms who
> have opened their specs and are gaining market share because of this,
> and present that data to SMedia.
> I'm just throwing up ideas, I don't have the time to actually execute
> them... but someone with GNU/FSF connections could.

I'm happy to press the case with SMedia as best I can but not
unilaterally. Before we start doing anything though I think we need an
official rundown on the Glamo state of affairs from the relevant people
within Openmoko privy to the NDA and past dialogue with SMedia on the
subject. Things like:

- What impact will opening the Glamo 3362 chip have outside of the Neo?
i.e. how many other devices use this chip and how might this affect
SMedia's decision to open it up?
- Has anything in the graphic department been finalised for the GTA03?
Could we use the possibility of not using SMedia in future and the
apparent popularity of the Openmoko project as leverage?
- What were the primary considerations in choosing Glamo? Has SMedia
stood by any obligations they made in this regard or were they misleading?
- Have you discussed binary divers? (yeah, I know, but it's better than
nothing...)
- What is the status of the "Harald Welte" driver?
- etc...

Over to you....

Aaron