Debian on FreeRunner

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Thu Aug 7 21:45:45 CEST 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008 14:35:03 Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> well -- bringing openmoko's changes and novel packages into
> emdebian port [0] sounds like a great task which many would
> appreciate. It might be worth inquiring [1]  people on
> suggestions and plausibility/interest of such a project. Then indeed it
> might become a point that we could simply run the best OS on our phones
> as well supporting all the phone features  ;-)
>
> if someone jumps to package things for emdebian, and those packages are
> forth to appear in the mainline Debian (some parts of matchbox are in
> the mainline I believe), I could spare some time for sponsoring
> their uploads into Debian, so your efforts don't vanish due to
> decentralization.
>
> [0] http://www.emdebian.org/
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/

Openmoko could also create their own apt repository which could be added to the apt configs.  That is probably the best solution for now, if they're interested, because it could be built from git every night just like the opkg feeds, without polluting debian's official tree(s) with highly alpha code.  (Something similar can be done under gentoo with portage tree overlays, and I imagine fedora/yum has a way too)

Nothing's stopping someone with a server from making their own apt repository that grabs from git as well, if they're willing to undertake the task.  I would rather it be official though, because it would discourage (by necessity) distribution dependency by the paid developers.  But if they don't have time for that then I'm sure someone will pick up the slack :)  Maybe me.

--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name