Any opinions on purchasing from Koolu?

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Fri Aug 8 01:24:38 CEST 2008

I got one from Koolu and it's a completely stock model.  Apparently they can't yet afford the special silk screened Debian tartan weave, and they can't yet get debian+android running on the phones, so the version I got was the same one everyone else is getting.

They ship from Canada, so you may have to pay customs their bribe to get it.

On Thursday 07 August 2008 19:12:47 Nick Van Fossen wrote:

> I've been trying to purchase a new 850 Freerunner for almost 2 weeks now, but as you already know the openmoko online store still says they are to arrive on July 25th...  The only two US distributors are Koolu, and gp2xstore.com.  Gp2xstore.com only lists the Neo 1973 - not freerunner, and has been ignoring my e-mails for a week and a half, so I guess my only choice is Koolu.
>
> But, Koolu looks like they want to go a different direction with their phones than Openmoko does by installing Android, Google Apps, and some other goodies that I have no interest in.  I've been hesitant to purchase from them because of this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has purchased an 850 Freerunner from Koolu and how that went?  Did you get your phone?  Have any problems with Koolu?  Do you have any problems installing any of the openmoko builds/stacks?
>
> Thanks!
> -Nick

Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name