FSO: settings and profiles

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 01:58:32 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Fredrik Wendt <fredrik at wendt.se> wrote:

>> And there is a profile switcher planned I hope?
>
> I just can't let go of the idea of having several profiles activated at
> the same time, so I'll spam you all once more (last time, I promise).
>
> Locations:
> - work
> - home
> - cinema
> - lecture hall
> - hospital
> - amusement park
>
> Activities:
> - coding (default)
> - none (default for others)
> - meeting
> - in a phone call
> - lecture / conference
> - watching a movie
> - exercising (biking anyone?) (it could detect the wii fit bluetooth MAC
> addresses in the air as well)
>
> Time based:
> - after bed time
> - tuck in time (put the kid(s) to sleep)
> - lunch
> - working hours
> - Simpsons
>
> Other:
> - phone is upside down on a table (only flash lights, no buzz or
> ringtone)
> - battery is running low
> - far from home (send e-mail with GPS coordinates every hour)
> - vacation (don't send GPS coordinates every hour)
> - bluetooth headset is in range (and paired)
> - home media center (and asterisk) is in range (redirect music)
>
> Being able to have just _one_ context/setting/mood at a time is so
> restricting.
>

> When I go to lunch (12-13, or 12 am to 1 pm) I generally put the phone
> in my pocket so I want the ringing sound to be louder. BUT, if I'm in a
> lunch meeting with a client (the meeting's in the calendar) I don't want
> to be disturbed (except by family and day care numbers), hence there
> should be no ringtone at all.
>
> This is also true while exercising (louder), unless it's tuck in time
> for the kids and I'm at home (Wii Fit).
>
> If I'm at the cinema the GSM should turn off, unless I'm at a conference
> (in my calendar) which would only turn ringtone off (or send it to my BT
> headset at a low volume). If I'm a presenter I'd like all calls to be
> rejected (unless family + day care) so I won't be interrupted while
> using the FreeRunner as a remote control (next slide, etc - too bad it
> didn't come with a laser beam/LED as well :).
>

> I'd love the idea of having more than one profile (context) active at
> the same time - my daily life simply isn't that simple that one profile
> fits. I don't want to be locked up in old locked down cellphone
> behaviour - I want to be free. ;)
>
> / Fredrik Wendt

Much of what you have described was articulated in this [1] thread,
including profile aggregation.
I strongly encourage people to post their similar ideas so hopefully
developers will be able to anticipate future requirements.

With regards to applying multiple profiles (which I really like), some
thought will have to go in to resolving conflicts.

For instance, if we have two rules :

On <location event> set profile foo;
On <temporal event> set profile bar;

The profile may be opposites, if they trigger at the same time, which
should win out ?

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-July/thread.html#22447

Matt