Bad A2DP Performance

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Fri Aug 8 16:10:30 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 00:17:31 Brad Midgley wrote:
> Daniel
>
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Daniel Benoy <daniel at benoy.name> wrote:
> > I reported a problem to the openmoko bug tracker a little while ago and I haven't received any feedback yet.  I'm hoping I will get more feedback here.
>
> there are two sources of possible trouble for quality, cpu load and
> timing of bluetooth frames.
>
> The cpu is not likely the problem on neo. When driving it through the
> alsa driver, the neo1973 had really good a2dp performance even on
> older versions of bluez-utils, much better than the TI cpus (eg in the
> n800). Did you check the cpu load while playing? I don't have a
> freerunner, but the cpu is supposed to only be an improvement over the
> neo1973.
>
> btw, what version of bluez-utils is in the system?
>
> an aside, the gstreamer plugin has had a performance issue that burns
> a lot of cpu. I never did isolate it to either the encoder or
> transmission components. It isn't likely you're using the gstreamer
> route unless you specifically set out to do it that way.

Here's everything I have installed that matched grep blue :p

----
blueprobe - 0.18-r3 -
bluez-hcidump - 1.38-r0 -
bluez-utils - 3.23-r4 -
bluez-utils-alsa - 3.23-r2 -
bluez-utils-compat - 3.23-r4 -
kernel-module-bluetooth - 2:2.6.24+git29+2c55337cb0cde08203df321a108409b7e33e6904-r2 -
libbluetooth2 - 3.23-r0 -
task-base-bluetooth - 1.0-r71.02 -
----

I'll be sure to check the CPU usage next time I try it.

Packets start to drop when according to l2ping between the phone and the headphones while I'm using it as well.  I wonder if that means anything?

--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name