Upgrading on Qtopia

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Fri Aug 8 21:49:13 CEST 2008

Matthew Lane wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that opkg can't upgrade qtopia, but it should be able to
> upgrade my kernel, correct?

Thats correct, Qtopia's 4.3 build system does not make a complete ipkg
for easy upgrade. This will change in 4.4

> Well, when I do opkg update, opkg upgrade my phone will spend about
> 20-30 minutes updating everything (from the latest qtopia image on
> trolltech's website) and I need a lot of those packages (such as
> libc++6) for running other scripts on qtopia.  Anyways, after upgrading,
> I restart my phone and it freezes on the blank black screen with a
> cursor in the upper left corner.  The phone won't ever boot!  So I have
> to reflash the lastest image I just tried to upgrade.  I've attempted
> this twice, and I can't upgrade my phone!

There is a new image at qtopia.net. This new one _should_ be able to
upgrade the system.

As well, there is a qtopia binary only tarball which has a script to
update just qtopia in case you don't want to backup your settings.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company