2008.08 - First Impressions

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 8 22:11:34 CEST 2008

I've been playing with 2008.08 for a little while now, and I thought I'd
share some first impressions.

Firstly, it's *gorgeous* - eyecandy city! I *really* like the look and
feel of it! It's much more friendly and less 'clunky' feeling than 2007.2.

I had a couple of issues on first boot - It seemed _very_ slow - I'm
talking 5-10 seconds between me pressing something and getting any
feedback on the keypad at the PIN entry screen. After a reboot this
seems to have gone away. Also I find the default sleep time painfully
short, and I don't think it should go straight into sleep - there should
be a period where it dims  / turns off the screen but doesn't actually
sleep, like in 2007.2

The graphical installer is great! I really like this, although I agree
with the opinion stated elsewhere that the text is too big, and I'd
really like to see the 'description' text on the package details screen,
so that I know what the package is (names aren't always that informative).

Pet peeves / suggestions:

* Power management - still doesn't work properly - exactly the same
problem as 2007.2 - the phone wakes up when a call comes in, but doesn't
make any noise. If I answer the phone, I can't hear the other person and
they can't hear me. This leave me with two options - turn off power
management, or be prepared to reboot the phone and call people back,
neither of which is particularly good.

* keyboard
     - Predictive text is annoying as hell. I really don't think this is
neccessary for a qwerty keyboard. I love the predictive text on my nokia
phone that I have for work, but it only has a numeric keypad. The whole
point of qwerty IMHO is being able to type quickly, and the predictive
text just seems to get in the way of this. There should at least be a
way to turn off the predictive text. also I find the way it
automatically inserts spaces frustrating - it took me *far* to long to
enter the address of my mail server when setting it up for email - the
lack of consistent copy and paste also attributed to this.

     - I'd like to see letters on the numeric keypad screen. For
example, the PIN on my sim card is a word typed using the numbers on my
phone keypad, not a number - I have no idea what the numbers in my PIN
are! in order to enter my pin using this numpad, I have to get out my
nokia and look at it's keypad and then type in the numbers. I also think
that the conventional numpad layout (123 \n 456 \n 789 \n *0#) would
make it easier to use, although this may just take a bit of time to
adapt to..

     - Enter Key - I'd really like to see an enter key on the qwerty
keyboard, in addition to getting rid of the predictive text. This would
make using the terminal MUCH easier. I'd also like to see a period and
hyphen on the qwerty keyboard, for the same reasons (would vastly
improve using the terminal).

* The clock should be an application, not hidden away in settings
* Installer should be in settings, I don't really think it needs to be
on the home screen

* using the Aux button for lock is nice, but I think it should be harder
to unlock - there's a chance (admittedly small) that aux might get
pressed in my pocket. Personally, I really liked the screen lock on
2007.2, where you had to drag one icon onto the other - I thought that
this was a novel and very functional unlock mechanism.

* The home screen needs a way to set up categories/ folders - I can see
it getting *very* cluttered if I install alot of applications

Overall, I think that openmoko have made a *big* leap forward with
2008.08, keep up the great work!

-Dale