External WiFi Antenna

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sat Aug 9 03:37:00 CEST 2008

I've seen no mention of this elsewhere, but forgive me if this is a topic
that's been covered already.

But after disassembling my Freerunner, I noticed that near the external GSM
antenna connector is an identical connector -- on the wifi module (about 1cm
above the GSM one).  I don't have a pigtail to attach it to a 2.4ghz antenna
here, but I'm quite curious -- is this functional, or NC?

If it is functional, why no hole like there is for the GSM connector? --
There seems to be nothing but plastic, so one could easily drill a hole to
get access to it when the back cover is removed.

Image of it:
http://ext.tehinterweb.com/freerunner/back.jpg
Forgive the blurry pic, my camera isn't fantastic and the lighting combined
with my unsteady hand only made it worse :P

The two connectors are on the bottom right.  The WiFI module is where there
is the red arrow pointing right, and the green block is on the metal (the
internal WiFI antenna, seemingly).