Upgrading on Qtopia

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Sat Aug 9 09:35:44 CEST 2008

Jim Morris wrote:
>> Lorn Potter wrote:
>>
>>> As well, there is a qtopia binary only tarball which has a script to
>>> update just qtopia in case you don't want to backup your settings.
>> That worked great thanks.
>>
>> Is it safe to update the kernel to the latest version? or does the kernel need to match the qtopia
>> image?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Ok I upgraded the kernel to the version in the Qtopia package...
>
> uImage-2.6.24+git30+436204281bcd1fe5999ad6589ea7ab1b5360c352-r2-om-gta02.bin
>
> And now I don't have USB networking anymore. I guess this is the same problem as reported for the
> other dists.
>
> Is there a workaround (I updated using the script) other than reflashing and losing all my settings?
> and downloads etc.
>
> Is the workaround the same as for the other dists (either load the kernel with all drivers, or
> upgrade everything).
>
> Thanks

Ok so updating qtopia via the script is not a good idea if you also upgrade the kernel due to the
missing usb ether modules,

I recovered by flashin gthis kernel...

http://warmcat.com/uImage-moredrivers-stable_507c3c1ba3921bb7.bin

So now I have to figure out if it is safe to opkg upgrade  with the latest qtopia, from what I read
above maybe not so much.

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com