2008.08 - First Impressions

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Sat Aug 9 15:09:35 CEST 2008

ted braak wrote:
> Thanks for your impression. Really helpful in deciding NOT to install this. I am pretty amazed you claim that the OM team have made a big leap forward and also saying this version still has issues with the basic functionality of the phone.. Power management, calling, sms and intuitive entering of text without stylus should be the main focus. The rest can follow later (even GPS).
>
> Of course this is not a fact, it is just my opinion.

Haha, That was written within very shortly after installing it. Since
then, the 'annoyances' have elevated themselves to 'extreme
frustrations', and I've become thoroughly disenfranchised with it - I'm
restoring my FR back to 2007.2 as I type this...

I maintain that the interface at least is a big leap forward - it's very
slick and pretty, and it shows alot of promise - once the bugs have been
worked out to the point where it's on par with 2007.2 for stability, and
something has been done about the *awful* keyboard, I'll happily go back
to it.

In the meantime, though, a pretty-looking paperweight has the same
functionality as an ugly looking one - I'll take usability over eyecandy
any day...

In my opinion, your opinion is spot on - eyecandy is all well and good
but making the thing work should be a much higher priority.

-D