2008 WTF??

Fredrik Wendt fredrik at wendt.se
Sun Aug 10 00:04:00 CEST 2008

Jeff Davis wrote:

> Telling people to buy another phone if they want one that makes phone calls is not exactly
> the kind of product endorsement most people are looking for.

The smartphone is both hardware and software - it's not as trivial as a
hammer that you compared it with.

The hardware is set know and it's available for purchase (though delayed
and out of stock because of the demand).

The software is not finished yet. This is stated almost everywhere.

Hence - if a person wants a ready to use phone, openmoko is not the way
to go. I'm pretty sure you'd agree (at it's present state).

I love my FreeRunner and today I actually used it "for real", using it
as a GPRS modem/gateway while I was on a train. Heck, that's even better
than my SonyEricsson M600i that I've used in the same way*. The SE phone
however often frooze about once an hour and I had to remove the battery
to get it back in a working state again. That didn't happen once with
the FreeRunner. It did however loose the connection to the network once
(and I couldn't get it to work again without rebooting the device :( )

Sorry if I made you think I don't recommend the FreeRunner - I do, but
not to anyone that wants a working phone _today_, because it's not.

/ Fredrik Wendt

* With the SE phone I used bluetooth to set up a rfcomm channel and used
that with wvdial. With the freerunner I used usb networking to carry my
packets from the laptop to the neo, and then iptables SNAT to route
those out on the ppp0 device (GPRS with the FSO methods).