Moving my 2007.2 to SD to try 2008.8 with fallback solution

yochaigal yochaigal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 01:14:54 CEST 2008

I currently have Qtopia on my microSD, it doesn't work 100% but enough to use
it as a backup phone OS.  The key is to follow the wikis--- but make sure
you format and fill the sd card from a linux box, not from the phone.   do
everything as root.  also, make sure to update your u-boot so that it can
handle fat and ext file systems.  finally, be very careful in uploading the
root filesystem -- -make sure you mount a .jffs2 (follow the wiki) on your
linux box and then FROM that you should create a tarball --- -which you THEN
and only THEN move over to the rootfs partition of the sd card.  Otherwise
some important dev nodes get lost in the process.

wiki I used to start:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD

good luck

yochai