Moving my 2007.2 to SD to try 2008.8 with fallback solution

Olivier Berger oberger at ouvaton.org
Sun Aug 10 16:39:02 CEST 2008

yochaigal <yochaigal at gmail.com> writes:

> The key is to follow the wikis--- but make sure
> you format and fill the sd card from a linux box, not from the phone.   do
> everything as root.  also, make sure to update your u-boot so that it can
> handle fat and ext file systems.  finally, be very careful in uploading the
> root filesystem -- -make sure you mount a .jffs2 (follow the wiki) on your
> linux box and then FROM that you should create a tarball --- -which you THEN
> and only THEN move over to the rootfs partition of the sd card.  Otherwise
> some important dev nodes get lost in the process.
>

> wiki I used to start:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD

Thanks for your indications, but my goal is not to install a *new*
system on the SD, but to *transfer* the current one to the SD.

I guess it may be done from the FR itself... but I'm afraid it's
difficult to move things from the very live system you're running.

To do that on a desktop system, I would boot to single user
first... but what about on a FR ?

>> Would you recommend a good procedure for moving my 2007.2 system to SD
>> ? And would it run fine from SD too, once moved ?

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER
http://www.olivierberger.com/weblog/