Moving my 2007.2 to SD to try 2008.8 with fallback solution

Olivier Berger oberger at ouvaton.org
Sun Aug 10 18:16:13 CEST 2008

"arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:

>> I guess it may be done from the FR itself... but I'm afraid it's
>> difficult to move things from the very live system you're running.
>
> i'd think the only thing to care about would be /var/.
> just as idea: rsync the whole of the fr to the sd card and diff after a
> while to see which parts changed. examine these files and see if you need
> to set something to default values.

Thanks for the tips.

I thought of another way to proceed in between, and started to
document it here :
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Moving_current_system_from_flash_to_SD

Basically, you boot into a system on SD, and then, from there, you
mount the root partition in flash and copy its contents to a backup
dir on the SD. Hopefully, the SD is big enough to hold two systems.

I've tested it and I have my backup of OM 2007.2 on SD.

Now I need to test if I can boot it on the SD. If it succeeds, I will
then be able to flash OM 2008.8, and have switched between flash and
SD.

Dual booting is cool ;)

Will try and report on success/problems.

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER
http://www.olivierberger.com/weblog/