Network over USB flaky ? - Re: Booting OM 2008.08 from SD - Re: Openmoko Om 2008.8 Release

Olivier Berger oberger at ouvaton.org
Sun Aug 10 18:55:37 CEST 2008

Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> writes:

> | I kept trying, rebooted, tested, again, again, unplugged USB,
> | replugged... and TADA, at some point it magically worked !
> |
> | I've typed-in a few commands, got networking (opkg update completed),
> | did a few more things... and ... it's now gone :(
> |
> | # ping 192.168.0.202
> | PING 192.168.0.202 (192.168.0.202) 56(84) bytes of data.
> | From 192.168.0.200 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
> | From 192.168.0.200 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
> | From 192.168.0.200 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
> |
> | no kernel message on desktop side : usb not unplugged...
> |
> | I guess it's pretty flaky :( But still I see some (slow) progress ;)
> |
> | I guess screen will be my friend.
>
> I would first guess this is simply the "ifconfig" to set Freerunner-side
> IP getting messed with.  I really did not see flakiness of Ethernet over
> USB and I understood there is new scheme for managing IP allocation in
> this new rootfs.  If anyone with a debug board sees this behaviour, just
> logging in on the debug serial console and doing ifconfig usb0 / route
> -n would clear it up if it is that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Notice that I'm running 2008.8 from SD so that may change some
behaviour vs running it from flash, explaining the network problems.

Anyway, it seems it's rather unstable in the first times the system is
brought up, and stabilizes after a while.
If I unplug the USB cable when I lose IP connectivity, and replug
after 1/2 seconds, then it becomes more stable. Well maybe the fact
that I'm running a ping 192.168.0.202 continously helps also at that
stage : it may help maintain connectivity somehow ?

Anyway, I guess I'll be able to test 2008.8 from flash soon, and may
be able to tell if that's better.

In the meantime, 'screen -R -D' is my friend ;)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER