Moving my 2007.2 to SD to try 2008.8 with fallback solution

Olivier Berger oberger at ouvaton.org
Sun Aug 10 23:35:43 CEST 2008

Yaroslav Halchenko <site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com> writes:

> you better off using cpio or rsync imho for copying filesystems entirely
> since they know more about devices/pipes/etc

You may be right, although on a typical Debian system, I tend to trust
cp -a... Now, it may be a busybox version, with other bugs... or maybe
it's a filesystem reliability issue, and tools won't change that (I
tend to prefer that second option, as copying again same files, but
individually achieved proper md5sums...)

In any case, I suggest that you update
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Moving_current_system_from_flash_to_SD
if you would like to test and document your findings with other
tools.

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Olivier Berger wrote:
>
>> One issue I've found is that cp -a didn't relyably copy from MTD/flash
>> to SD 5 or 6 files.

Thanks.

Best regards,
--