full-keyboard for Om 2008.08? -> SOLVED ?

Olivier Berger oberger at ouvaton.org
Mon Aug 11 08:51:12 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at openmoko.org> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:10:20 +0200 Olivier Berger <oberger at ouvaton.org> babbled:
>
>> DooD <leetdood16 at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hmm figured out why my above fix was only working on my asu build and not my
>> > om2008.8.... need to install
>> >
>> > http://buildhost.openmoko.org/daily-feed/armv4t/illume_0.0+svnr196-r12_armv4t.ipk
>> >
>> > this version seems to let me use whatever keyboard i like, which is how it
>> > should be. hope it doesnt magically disappear >.> .....
>> >

>> Would you care to elaborate on "let me use whatever keyboard i like" ?
>>
>> Maybe you may add a howto into
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/ASU_Keyboard_Toggle ?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>
> illume's code can use it's internal keyboard, do nothing at all (and just wait
> until some external keyboard  is run - like qpe does) or run a keyboard process
> for you. it even will queue multiple keyboards if more than 1 was launched -
> but it works with a first-come-first-served policy there. the gui config is
> simple (chose none, internal default or some of N others). the gui will list
> any .desktop files it found that have "Keyboard" in the categories list for
> the .desktop.

Thanks alot for these details.

And glad some nice soul added details to :

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2008.8_Keyboard#Using_the_Full_Qwerty_keyboard

I call it an issue solved by the community while the support staff was
on weekend break ;-)

> but of course this config dialog isn't really meant to be
> supported. not in ASU/2008.8 so it's more of a "if you somehow find it and get
> it up - use at your own risk".
>
> :)

You mean OM 2008.8 *is* supported ? ;-) ... sorry, couldn't help it.

Well, more seriously : as it fixes a major usability defect of OM 2008.8, I'd expect it
to be supported !

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER