No pin dialog/ qpe

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Aug 11 13:50:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 21:01 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
> Norbert Hartl wrote:
> > What is qpe exactly doing? I noticed a lot of problems
> > other people reporting like the no pin dialog. Looking
> > at the device qpe uses 100% CPU for a long time. I don't
> > understand it but the CPU usage of qpe is capable to slow
> > down other things extremely. The SIM Pin dialog is working
> > with the new firmware but delayed through qpe.
> >
> > Holger Freyther gave me the hint that it is looking for
> > media on the SD card. In
> >
> > /opt/Qtopia/etc/default/Trolltech/Storage.conf
>
> That is one possible thing it is doing at startup. The idea is that it
> is a phone, and you only startup in rare instances.

If we take a stable phone than you are right. But at the moment
people need to start often and that leads to a situation where
these settings confuse a lot of people. It is even there if
you start your phone the first time. To raise user experience
this search should be delayed and it should be assured that this
search is happening on a very low priority so it does not block
anything. There could be even an indicator that is visually
announcing the search. But let us be realistic :)

> > there is a section where qpe is configured for the media
> > it should search. For the SD card every media type is
> > activated. So the qpe searches the SD card after booting
> > blocking a lot of other things. There are two issues for
> > me:
> >
> > - it is discussable if these settings are useful as default
> >   to search for media on the SD card. While being troublesome
> >   I would be against it
>
> If Qtopia is not allowed to search the SD card, it will not be able to
> see/use files on it, so then why have it at all?

Because there is always something in between black and white. There
could be some intelligent way to detect when it is necessary to
refresh. And users are quite used to know that software is stupid
and they praise the existence of a manual trigger for such actions.

> > - furthermore the SD card is configured as being removable
> >   forcing the qpe to do the search every time being activated.
> >   Removable can be interpret as two things. The card is removable
> >   at runtime or it is removable at all. In the second case this
> >   would be true for hard disks as well :)
> >   If this is meant as something sensible at runtime this is a
> >   misinterpretation. You have to shut down the freeunner to
> >   remove the card so it is not really removable
>
> But it _IS_ removable, losable and optional. The flash chip is not. As
> well, you might have added files to it while you had it out.

see above.

Norbert