What will be in GTA03?

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 11 15:15:33 CEST 2008

Pritam, Ghanghas (IE10) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I had put this wish list once but no one considered that I guess. Is it
> that stupid? At least give your review guys.
>
> OMAP3530
>     http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html
>     I see lot of benefits from this shift
>        Camera interface
>        Two USB one of them OTG
>        On chip 2D/3D accelerator -- I didn't get much info about glamo
> 3362 still TI looks better
>        Host of other goodies that you can look in the page
>        And I don't see drivers to be a very big problem, seems like we
> will get another community working              simultaneously
> http://beagleboard.org/ and TI is in mood of cooperating in this
> venture.

nice chip.. basically.. but see this thread:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=42144
and try to find any specs or documentation about the included powerVR
SGX530... have fun... its closed.
thus also pandora will probably not have open drivers. search for
statements about that. i haven't found anything that states about how
open that machine will be at all.

in short: the whole 2d/3d accel in that chip would currently be useless
for us.

openmoko took opensource serious till now, pushing boundaries further
where we could.
we want debuggable architectures. means no binary drivers on the app cpu
for anything for sure. not in userspace, and for sure not in the kernel.

this was nagging many people on gta01 with gps before we got rid of that
with gta02.
hopefully we will never make that error again.

--

Joachim Steiger
Openmoko Central Services