No pin dialog/ qpe

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Mon Aug 11 19:26:12 CEST 2008

Norbert Hartl wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 21:01 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
>> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> What is qpe exactly doing? I noticed a lot of problems
>>> other people reporting like the no pin dialog. Looking
>>> at the device qpe uses 100% CPU for a long time. I don't
>>> understand it but the CPU usage of qpe is capable to slow
>>> down other things extremely. The SIM Pin dialog is working
>>> with the new firmware but delayed through qpe.
>>>
>>> Holger Freyther gave me the hint that it is looking for
>>> media on the SD card. In
>>>
>>> /opt/Qtopia/etc/default/Trolltech/Storage.conf
>> That is one possible thing it is doing at startup. The idea is that it
>> is a phone, and you only startup in rare instances.
>>
> If we take a stable phone than you are right.

If you develop a phone for only developers, then thats what you get. A
phone that only a small niche of developers are going to want to use.

> But at the moment
> people need to start often and that leads to a situation where
> these settings confuse a lot of people.

Then take the SD card entry out of the conf file.

> It is even there if
> you start your phone the first time. To raise user experience
> this search should be delayed and it should be assured that this
> search is happening on a very low priority so it does not block
> anything. There could be even an indicator that is visually
> announcing the search. But let us be realistic :)
>>> there is a section where qpe is configured for the media
>>> it should search. For the SD card every media type is
>>> activated. So the qpe searches the SD card after booting
>>> blocking a lot of other things. There are two issues for
>>> me:
>>>
>>> - it is discussable if these settings are useful as default
>>>   to search for media on the SD card. While being troublesome
>>>   I would be against it
>> If Qtopia is not allowed to search the SD card, it will not be able to
>> see/use files on it, so then why have it at all?
>>
> Because there is always something in between black and white. There
> could be some intelligent way to detect when it is necessary to
> refresh. And users are quite used to know that software is stupid
> and they praise the existence of a manual trigger for such actions.

The trigger is someone booting up, or inserting the SD card.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company