Video demo: Openmoko Neo Freerunner Features Accelerometer-based Gestures, and Screen Orientation

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 20:05:27 CEST 2008

Great! Thanks for the info. This seems to give applications devs lots
of potential.

Any chance of you adding "shakes" to the gestures? This would be
ideal for the "ball bearings in a tin can" style of unread email
message-count.

I was about to say "any chance of you adding shaking to the
gestures?" but after I waving my hand around like an idiot it seems
to me that one's  natural movement is not to shake with the
randomness I initially assumed. Instead, if I wanted to hear quantity
of messages in my inbox, I would instinctively shake quickly right-
and-returning-leftwards two to four times.

This adds the opportunity to shake forward and back a couple of times
for number of SMS messages or for battery fullness (I like the
Glasgow Uni's idea of using a splashing sound for that).

(Just read your subsequent posts - I'm glad to read that gestures can
easily be taught to the device. But you also ask for suggested
gestures, so I think these above would be useful. I envision them to
be made quite rapidly.)

Stroller.