No pin dialog/ qpe

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Aug 11 20:20:15 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 03:26 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
> Norbert Hartl wrote:

> >> That is one possible thing it is doing at startup. The idea is that it
> >> is a phone, and you only startup in rare instances.
> >>
> > If we take a stable phone than you are right.
>
> If you develop a phone for only developers, then thats what you get. A
> phone that only a small niche of developers are going to want to use.

Are you serious? It is no end-user device right now. The behaviour
at the moment prevents a lot of people to work with the freerunner
(use it as a phone) and therefor prevents acceptance. This change is
so easy to revert if the situation changes that I can't understand what
you are saying. In my understanding you are forcing a situation which
you state you want to avoid.

> > But at the moment
> > people need to start often and that leads to a situation where
> > these settings confuse a lot of people.
>
> Then take the SD card entry out of the conf file.

I have fixed it already on my freerunner. I just like to give feedback
to the community. In my opinion discussions make sense. I find
something, some discuss it and if it is a good idea than maybe a few
take responsibility and change the code base. If it doesn't work that
way I don't understand the whole thing. There is no need trying to
teach me, thank you.

> > It is even there if
> > you start your phone the first time. To raise user experience
> > this search should be delayed and it should be assured that this
> > search is happening on a very low priority so it does not block
> > anything. There could be even an indicator that is visually
> > announcing the search. But let us be realistic :)

> >> If Qtopia is not allowed to search the SD card, it will not be able to
> >> see/use files on it, so then why have it at all?
> >>
> > Because there is always something in between black and white. There
> > could be some intelligent way to detect when it is necessary to
> > refresh. And users are quite used to know that software is stupid
> > and they praise the existence of a manual trigger for such actions.
>
> The trigger is someone booting up, or inserting the SD card.

Then you know exactly what it does. What happens if a file is downloaded
from the internet and stored on the SD card? Does qpe recognizes this as
well?
No matter what the answer is the current situation is not optimal. And I
would like to hear rather a proposal how to treat that instead of
getting an explanation about "how _it_ works [tm]". Thanks again!

regards,

Norbert