GPRS working (somewhat) with T-Mobile and Freerunner

Nathan Kinkade nath at nkinka.de
Tue Aug 12 05:23:23 CEST 2008

2008/8/11 xaos x <xaos at xaositects.com>:
> I can get this working in om2007.2, by disabling gsmd, and performing the other steps in the wiki, but it just doesn't work in 2008.8. I get the connect script failed message. Perhaps there are some other packages you have installed? or are you running a pretty vanilla install of 2008.8 with little modification? This is stumping me.
>
> -Tom

I'm running a vanilla install of 2008.8.  I'm using the jffs2 and
kernel images from here:

http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.8/

I haven't installed much of anything, or made any fundamental changes
to the configuration.  I did it on a fresh boot.  One thing to note,
and this is related to Chris's earlier post, connecting with GPRS
irrevocably breaks GSM, and no amount of changing the power state of
the chip would recover it.  Actually not even a reboot would bring the
use of the phone/dialer back.  I had to halt the system and then boot
it.  Presumably rebooting doesn't power down the chip and so it stays
in some sort of inconsistent state.  If anyone knows how to recover
the use of GSM after using GPRS, that would be useful.

My only suggestion at the moment would be to totally power down the
device, get a fresh boot and then trying "pon tmobile" before doing
anything else, especially before using the phone.

Nathan