Battery Charge Solution(Not)

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 12 10:29:28 CEST 2008

Scott wrote:
> I attempted to install the two solutions to the Neo FreeRunner not
> charging when connected to a laptop or car charger.
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Forcing_fast_charge_mode
>
> Even though both sources can easily handle a 500ma charge.

You shouldn't need to do anything special to make it charge from your
laptop, assuming you're using a new kernel, unless you're hitting a new
bug.  Forcing fast charge mode worked around bugs in older kernels, but
  is now mostly just a dangerous hack for strange/broken hardware setups.

I'm charging mine via a laptop usb port as I type this, and didn't force
a charging mode.  The included 1000ma charger is faster, but the laptop
also charges the battery.

-Rusty