GPRS working (somewhat) with T-Mobile and Freerunner

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 12 15:39:34 CEST 2008

Hi Chris,

Am Montag 11 August 2008 18:39:14 schrieb C R McClenaghan:
> There have now been several posts related to the successful use of
> GPRS on one or more of the software platforms - OM 200*.* and FSO -
> but not much discussion of how to multiplex voice and data calls. The
> FSO platform through it's mdbus/dbus interface seems to accomplish
> this.

Yeah. We are very satisfied with the performance of gsm0710muxd.

> [1] below describes how to do so with a prior release of ASU. Is
> the multiplexer referenced in [1] - gsm0710muxd - now part of OM
> 2008.8 and should the direct use of /dev/ttySAC0 be avoided?

No, Om2008.8 is using the Qtopia gsm subsystem, which brings its own
multiplexer (which was disabled for the Neo last time i checked, but i don't
know the current status).

> Is the
> multiplexer referenced in [1] and apparently running on FSO the means
> by which data and voice are multiplexed in FSO?

Yes.

> In FSO, if gsm0710muxd
> is the running daemon, what is the role of gsmd?

No one is working on gsmd any longer. Some of the architectural decisions made
right in the beginning of the project have proven unfixable. The work of gsmd
is getting done by the ogsmd subsystem which is part of the framework daemon.

> Is gsmd active during
> voice calls only?

frameworkd.ogsmd is taking care about everything non-PPP. pppd takes care
about the actual data on a GPRS, however ogsmd takes care of configuring pppd
and restoring configuration once the GPRS connection has been setup/taken
down.

> Finally, with FSO and the mdbus/dbus interface , how
> can I set other connection parameters - for example, speed, timeouts,
> reconnect?

Which parameters exactly do you want to configure? We already configure it to
have maximum throughput.

> Oh, yea - how can either a dund or pand connection event trigger gprs
> for laptop tethering?

Please open an 'enhancement' ticket (trac.freesmartphone.org).

--
:M: