Om2008.8 comments and questions

Nick Van Fossen stix213 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 23:11:32 CEST 2008

I can't speak for the Openmoko developers, but it is fairly well known that the openmoko software is a work in progress with things breaking and being fixed very often.  I believe most people who have the Neo phones have them to be part of something new that hasn't been done before on a phone, test and play with something exciting yet still unfinished, and possibly even contribute to making the phone & software even better.  These people also understand that the software is a work in progress, and that nothing at this stage in the game is guaranteed not to break.

If your needs actually are a solid and easy phone, with few hiccups, and good linux compatibility...  I'm guessing you purchased about a year too early in its development.  Remember that opensource development != proprietary development, as opensource software is often available to users/developers years in advance of it being stable enough to do the work expected of the final version... where proprietary software (like the iPhone you mention) is hidden from users for years during the stage of development openmoko is currently.

This is like trying to use the iPhone a year before it was released to the public.  It would have been exciting, but few things would have worked perfectly, with regressions and inconsistencies between builds just the same.

Be excited you are part of something new, but to expect solid performance today is a bit premature.  I can't wait for mine to arrive next week, working features be damned! :)

-Nick