Om2008.8 keyboard wishlist

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 13 02:15:56 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:02:39 -0400 Daniel Benoy <daniel at benoy.name> babbled:

> You can apt-get it under Debian and run it on the hardware.  It's pretty slow
> with the Xglamo server, and completely unusably slow with the xorg
> framebuffer server that you'll generally find on a Debian install.
>
> Personally, though, I'm wondering what kind of development efforts would be
> required to have the option of using completely custom 'third party' (for
> lack of a better term) input-method software, so that I can just opkg remove
> official-keyboard; opkg install dasher-input  .. or something like that :)
>
> As far as I know, if you're going to use illume/qtopia-x11 for launching
> software and making calls, then that's the keyboard you have, like it or
> not... and changing it means changing your window manager and such.

nothing. it's all already done. if the keyboard app:

1. installs a .desktop file
2. the .desktop file contains "Keyboard" in the categories list
3. marks its window as a keyboard by:
3.1 setting ICCCM WM_NAME to "Keyboard" or NETWM_NAME "multitap-pad", AND
setting SKIP_TASKBAR and SKIP_PAGER properties (these detect the matchbox kbd
and multitap kbd's), OR set _E_VIRTUAL_KEYBOARD property on their window (type
CARDINAL, value 1)

that's it. illume/e will find the keyboard window happily and use that as the
keyoard window. illume has its own internal keyboard implementation it can use
- or it can run another keyboard for you - and if the .desktop file has
"Keyboard" in categories illume's config panel for keyboard will list these
keyboards in its keyboard selection config. so you can install as many or as
few keyboards as you like and switch runtime, or use illume's built-in one
(which should save you some overhead and resources).