Qtopia issues with 4.3.2-080808

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Wed Aug 13 04:08:39 CEST 2008

Paul Buede wrote:
> I am not sure the most appropriate place for this, so I will post my
> issues here and take them elsewhere if there is a better place for them.
>
> I flashed with the qtopia-4.3.2-080808-rootfs-08081019.jffs2 and
> uImage-2.6.24+git30+436204281bcd1fe5999ad6589ea7ab1b5360c352-r2-om-gta02.bin
> files.
>
> 1.  Since then, as has been noted, my reception is not as good as it was
> with the stock OM build.

odd. This most likely would have nothing to do with qtopia.

> 2.  Also, speaker phone doesn't work, it just emits a loud constant beep
> when in speaker phone mode.

It needs a fixed/working speakerphone alsa state. Same thing probably
happens with other gui's as well.

> 3.  I can pair my bluetooth headset, but it won't work with calls.  I am
> able to "ring" it through the bluetooth dialog, and it does show as an
> option when I make a call, but if I select it, there is no sound from
> it.  The headset does work with my treo 650, so I know it works.

also needs a working alsa state file, then we can see if it is possible
to get this to even work. On the 1973, it will never work.

> 4.  How do I change the number it uses to call voicemail?  It doesn't
> seem set and I don't see where to set that value.  With ATT phones, you
> are supposed to be able to hold down the 1, and it will call voicemail.
> I assume that is not the case with this phone and I will have to program
> it to call my own number and then throw in a bunch of commas for waits,
> and then hit * to access voicemail.  This is fine, I just want to be
> able to set it.

Ok. this is a bug in qtopia.

You can set it up to speed dial it. Just open the contact entry for your
voicemail select Options->add to speed dial. Then you can click on the
Star icon on the homescreen to call!

> 5.  Is there any documentation on the Qtopia build?  For example, I am
> going to export my contacts from palm desktop to a csv I suppose, and
> then I will want to import it.  Not sure where or how best to do that
> sort of operation.  Whats the right way to do updates on Qtopia?

You mean help documents? There are help files for applications on the
phone. Just go to the menu 'Help'. Probably the only way to import
contacts is through bluetooth.

As far as sync contacts and such, Qtopia only syncs to Outlook. Of
course, anyone can write qdsync import/export plugins, but only Outlook
is currently supported.

Right now, the only way is to "update" Qtopia is grab the 'qtopia
update' package at qtopia.net. There is a script in there that will stop
Qtopia, remove it, upload the new Qtopia and start it again.

In the future, there will be a package feed, but making ipkg packages is
broken in 4.3 and will not get fixed.

> Finally, my critical stuff is reception and calls, and phone functioning
> on wakeup from suspend and such.  I will be happy to test other builds
> and OS's if they get that level of stability.
>
> Thanks

Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company