What will be in GTA03?

Pritam Ghanghas lists4pghanghas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 08:19:15 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:15 +0200, Joachim Steiger wrote:
> Pritam, Ghanghas (IE10) wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I had put this wish list once but no one considered that I guess. Is it
> > that stupid? At least give your review guys.
> >
> > OMAP3530
> >     http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html

> nice chip.. basically.. but see this thread:
> http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=42144
> and try to find any specs or documentation about the included powerVR
> SGX530... have fun... its closed.

> in short: the whole 2d/3d accel in that chip would currently be useless
> for us.
>
> openmoko took opensource serious till now, pushing boundaries further
> where we could.
> we want debuggable architectures. means no binary drivers on the app
> cpu
> for anything for sure. not in userspace, and for sure not in the
> kernel.

>I've got a beagle board with debian running on it now, i'll test the
>video output when im back to germany. Judgeing what i've seen at
>LinuxTag, the 2D performance is great even on 1280x720 (they had no
>accelerated X running).

>So using the OMAP3530 and leaving the 3D stuff unused seems to be an
>option.

>Jan

I didnt get it clearly. Is user space binary also disallowed here. If
it is allowed i think there is hope. I found this on beagleboard's
google group discussion

From: Jason Kridner <jkrid... at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PowerVR drivers
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
I expect the drivers to be publicly available by the end of the year.
Only the kernel portions will be open source.  The PowerVR folks will
provide binary user-space libraries.