What will be in GTA03?

Hendrik Strydom hns1 at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 13 09:08:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 11:45 +0200, Michele Renda wrote:

> Hendrik Strydom wrote:
> > My wish list:
> > 3G, or at least UMTS
>
> 3g != UMTS ? (I thing you wanted to say EDGE :)
No.  Simplistically seen from an Australian perspective UMTS allows
download speeds up to 384Kb, and 3G allows speeds with a current upper
limit of about 7MB and a current infrastructure limitation of about
14MB, depending on the provider.
I have never seen a connection at this speed, but download speed in the
1MB to 3MB range is not uncommon.
As far as I can establish EDGE is only used by the local '3' service
provider, but they seem to use non-standard SIMS, which do not work in
all phones, so it would be an unattractive option locally.
More importantly data on UMTS/2.5G/3G is charged per Kb, whereas GPRS is
normally charged in terms of time spent, which makes it very
unattractive.  Vodafone for instance offers 5GB of mobile data for $49
(AU) per month, but happily charges $1 per minute for GPRS, where it is
hard to beat 5Kb download speeds.
To further complicate matters our providers cover quad band between
them.