Om2008.8 comments and questions

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Wed Aug 13 09:27:06 CEST 2008

Le Wednesday, 13. August 2008 01:30:55 Jeremiah Flerchinger, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 17:13 -0400, Helmut Tessarek wrote:
> > Alright then. What format has the addressbook? A .vcf importer cannot be
> > that hard to develop. It does not even have to be a GUI app.
>
> I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort to work on this just for
> 2008.8.  One of the phase 2 subsystems for FSO is a PIM manager that
> should handle this, although I don't think much work has been done on it
> yet.  Maybe working on this for FSO and rolling it into 2008.8 would
> make more sense.

So is FSO actually trying to solve problems that have been solved a long time
ago in Qtopia? That's one thing I still don't got yet, I see a lot of NIH
syndrome in OM. Sure the Qtopia stack is far from perfect, but it is some 4
to 6 years more advanced and stable than ASU, FSO or 2007.2.

The reason for the slow progress here is that everyone wants to do anything
with a _simple phone_ apart from just using it as a smartphone with extras.
People want some sort of desktop-distribution, it shall be able to run GTK,
Qt, EFL and Java apps, not to forget all scripting-languages on earth (my
beloved Python, ...). To me this is all nonsense because none really works
after all this time that OM started (not to mention the integration efforts).

My suggestions: Flash the recent Qtopia image onto your phone, browse
Qtopia.net for useful applications, fetch the SDK there and start developing
for a mature, stable platform. Or keep hunting for promises.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Sascha Peilicke