What could be done to improve the OM development process?

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 13 10:10:45 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch 13 August 2008 09:24:46 schrieb Olivier Migeot:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Jeffery Davis
>
> <heavensblade23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. Instead of working on multiple concurrent software distributions, why
> > not try to rally everyone under one banner for a while?
>
> Just my cheap comment on this : I feel less and less like there's
> multiple concurrent software distributions. There was the gsmd-based
> stack, but it doesn't look like OM is working on it. ASU and FSO looks
> more and more like two parts of the same thing to me : ASU has some
> very interesting EFL apps (beside phone apps), and FSO's phone app
> (zhone) is based on EFL too. So the future merge of the two branches
> (or "half-branches", if I'm right) shouldn't be that hard nor
> hypothetical.

FSO is about the framework. It's _not_ a second distribution worked on by the
Openmoko team. It rather exposes the framework-level work with some example
code. Here are the only reasons FSO exists as an image and not just as a
couple of ipks:

a) Middleware is invisible.
b) Defining APIs without working on an API consumer seldomly lead to something
good.

I was afraid all this confusion would arise, that's why I (thought I) made it
clear enough on the framework wiki page and the blogs. Trust me, to avoid it,
for a while I really considered shipping a console-image for the framework
image, forcing people to ssh into to start getting familiar with the dbus
services...

--
:M: