2008.9 - Was Re: Third request: what *is* the warranty on the Freerunner?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Aug 13 22:47:28 CEST 2008

>  Oh come on.  After reading all your (and others') scary messages
> about that, I decided to give it a try.  So I pointed my browser to
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MokoMakefile.  Half an hour later, I had
> a build in progress.  Most of that half-hour was spent waiting for
> stuff to download, and part of the rest was due to my running the
> whole stuff in a particular isolated environment (cowbuilder chroot,
> for those who care) with its own characteristics (stuff runs as root,
> and I didn't have a home directory).

great that its working for you, looking forward to future news of
your .ipk URL's ..

>  Of course, the build hasn't completed yet (I have a few *.ipk
> already, but the webpage mentions 5 hours on a computer that's rather
> faster than mine), but if pasting less than 15 commands straight from
> a web page is too high a barrier to entry for prospective developers,
> I doubt they'd be able to accomplish much even if it was a single
> command to run.

since where did i say that i couldn't follow the instructions on the
wiki?

the issue is that there is no one stable, common, build system - or
distribution channel - for developers to pop their stuff into, and
with the moving targets of 'fso' vs. 'asu' vs 'om2007.2' vs
'underground' vs '&etc', its a bother.

much more fun, right now, to hack code *on* the machine itself, put up
with slow (actually not bad considering how much code gets written in
between compiles) build times, but have a development environment that
sits on a 512m SD card rather than .. 12 gigs, not counting the VM
backups i've been doing over 12 months of tracking mokomakefile ..

>  Half an hour.  15 commands to copy and paste.  How much more
> hand-holding does a developer need?

please, do not assume i am a fool unless you would consider like
countenance.  its not the hand-holding or the trick makefiles.  its
the dire lack of a dictator to rally around and form a federation ..
and as a result, actually, building apps for the phone *with* the
phone is turning out to be, frankly, a lot more workable - and
lightweight - than over a year of mokomakefile groupthink right about
now ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan