[Was: Illume patch/question] Notification manager

Yaroslav Halchenko site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com
Thu Aug 14 04:47:31 CEST 2008

Please pardon my ignorance but since
> one, but it won't match the theme. as any form of popup was not specified in
> ASU's design - i pretty much have no nice and easy support for it. :(
I will elaborate a bit although once again please pardon my ignorance
since I've never developed such app, no looked into the existing
implementations, but I see quite a few use cases.

Shouldn't there be a typical MVC-design application which takes
care about notifications?  Probably by receiving them via dbus
(C(ontroller) part should take care).
V(iews) could be different -- from the basic home screen (list of apps
is imho not a home screen at all) alike in any normal phone or qtopia or
2007.2, to a short-lived pop-up appearing on a screen for few
(configured) seconds. Any family of notifications should get
a life-span (persistent or one-time).

I see quite a few use cases and few kinds of such notifications

Persistent ones -- which are visible until 'confirmed to be seen' by the
'responsible' app:

1. missed calls
2. voice mail
3. new mail
4. low battery
5. lost GPS signal
6. current GPS provider
7. Birthdays within next week

Those are cleared out by the corresponding application itself (via
additional message to the controller)

Spontaneous (visible for a limited pre-configured time only)
1. battery is fully charged or almost fully drained
2. someone clicked on smth to know about smth (like in the original
email)
3. is 1 mile away from pizzeria
4. GPS/WiFi/GSM/Accelerometers/Bluetooth was turned off/on

M(odel) here consists pretty much of different kinds of notifications
known, actions to be taken when clicked, optional expiration date, etc

I wonder how it was designed in 2007.2 since it at least looks like it
was closer to this idea, and it seems that it is one of the 'phone must
have' features.

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]