Intel Atom

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 15 06:54:34 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> though we need to accept that we need to move beyond SDR into DDR/DDR2 ram and
> higher clockrates anyway - we need more performance to do the things people
> want, we just need to do it with the right generation of SOC that has reigned
> these power requirements in a bit... and well - maybe accept we need a meatier
> battery :)

What about an FPU?  It probably wouldn't eat much power, and would help
a *lot* for audio applications, since stuff wouldn't need to be
rewritten in fixed point arithmetic.

On a related note (and perhaps on the wrong end of an NDA), any idea
what the specs are on the glamo's built in openrisc processors?

Can they do floating point?  Randomly access memory?  How many of them
are there?

If they're beefy enough, with the right drivers (like CUDA), I think
we'd have the bus bandwidth to offload audio processing (ogg decoding)
to them, assuming the bus is symmetric:

48khz * 16bit/sample * 2channels = 187.5 kilobytes / sec = 1.4 mbit/sec

-Rusty