GPRS under FSO [Was: Re: What could be done to improve the OM development process?]

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 15 09:02:42 CEST 2008

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 14 August 2008 19:08:39 schrieb Russell Sears:
>> Anyway, [music|gps] + gprs + phone seem to play nice in FSO.  (I hacked
>> up a openmoko-mediaplayer package.
>
> Cool.
>
>> Headphone insertion isn't detected
>> yet, but it does mute/stop the music when you pick up the phone).
>
> Please add a ticket.

Where?

I just added a bunch of FSO tickets to "http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/"
which has an "FSO" option in the milestone pulldown menu.  Then I found
"trac.freesmartphone.org"

>> Now I just need music and tangogps to work at the same time.  The
>> framework gps thing is a CPU hog, as is ogg/gstreamer...
>
> Yeah, ogg is consuming too much. I hope we can improve that. The gps parser
> needs to be profiled and then extended with a C module.

I spoke too soon.  They both work at the same time, which was not the
case in 2007.2.  :)

However, they're still both CPU hogs...  I've been looking into the ogg
stuff a bit.  I think the first step is to update the ivorbis package.

That'll make it easier to try the low-mem branch and tremolo.  I tried
doing this a while back, but got runtime linker errors from gstreamer.
Then I got busy with other things.

There are also some other potential issues.  I think gstreamer is doing
software volume control, and there might be some grossness involving
ARM's synchronization primitives.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a
profiler working to see exactly where the cycles are going.

-Rusty