Alpha 2 Release of Accelerometer-based Gestures, and Screen Orientation

Paul-Valentin Borza paulvalentin at borza.ro
Fri Aug 15 15:15:45 CEST 2008

On the sensitivity issue... The time that the recognizer considers a gesture
was made is unfortunately hard-coded with a #define in this release (sorry
for that). However, there's something you can do (you can train the
classifier to detect dynamic acceleration - i.e. when you make a gesture -
to be more rigid).
You can't do it in GUI mode, but you can use the console:
There are 2 classes: static acceleration (s.class), and dynamic accelration
(d.class)

Train the dynamic acceleration class:
gesm --neo2 --config /etc/accelges/neo2 --new d.class
gesm --neo2 --config /etc/accelges/neo2 --train d.class

Be aware that this isn't a gesture training, as it's a classifier's class
creation, and training. So when you make shake the phone here, you'll have
to press the screen of the Neo (doesn't matter where) at all time while you
make the move. When you release the screen, your dynamic class will be
adapted.
Also, once you do this, all the gestures can be considered trash. You'll
have to create, train all the gestures (use the GUI).

Well, acceleration is not direction unfortunately. A gyroscope can solve
this problems - an accelerometer, and a gyroscope will solve these kind of
problems.
I can do something in the next release to correct the landscape, move
upwards detects right problem; I will try that.

No, you can't do that right now, as the duration is hard-coded for now.

To tool how a gesture looks like, run:
gesm --neo2 --config /etc/accelges/neo2 --view up.model
or whatever model you like - it's a continuous density left-to-right hidden
Markov model

Thanks,
Paul

http://www.borza.ro