Adding libraries/packages to the toolchain using bitbake / openembedded

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 15 17:40:29 CEST 2008

Florian Hackenberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to build navit using the openmoko toolchain. The problem is
> that it seems to require the libgps include files for gpsd support.
> Ideally I'd like to add a package to the toolchain using a bitbake
> recipe from the openmoko git repository. I have tried to find the
> relevant documentation on the wiki, but have only found [1], which
> seems to be an odd way (replicating all the work which went in to the
> bitbake recipes). Can someone please explain how to add packages to the
> installed toolchain using bitbake? I'll volunteer to document the
> procedure on the Wiki as soon as it works for me.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Florian
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain#Installing_additional_libraries_into_the_toolchain

You may want to have a look at this earlier thread about Navit:

http://n2.nabble.com/Navit--td669852ef1958.html#none

I didn't manage to compile it in the end, but there are links to
compiled versions there which I ended up using.

The short answer to your question appears to be that you need to install
libgpsd or gpsd-devel on your machine, using whatever packaging tool
your distro uses. The concensus seems to be that once you install this,
the build process will find the file it needs without any fuss.

As I said, I didn't manage to compile it, though, so I can't say for
certain...

Cheers,
-Dale