GPRS under FSO [Was: Re: What could be done to improve the OM development process?]

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 15 20:21:44 CEST 2008

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Freitag 15 August 2008 09:02:42 schrieb Russell Sears:
>> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>>> Cool.

>>> Please add a ticket.
>> Where?
>>
>> I just added a bunch of FSO tickets to "http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/"
>> which has an "FSO" option in the milestone pulldown menu.  Then I found
>> "trac.freesmartphone.org"
>
> Hmm, ok. I'll remember these. In the future, until there's a software that
> includes the framework, I'd rather like to see the bugs in
> trac.freesmartphone.org.

Maybe the openmoko trac should document this, by adding the following
sentence to the "create new ticket" page:

"Problems with the FSO framework and images should be reported to the
freesmartphone.org trac"

"trac" should link to "trac.freesmartphone.org"

Are there other trac's that bug reporters should know about?  Also, I
hit a bug involving the events thread and avahi-daemon on an FSO image.
  Where does that go?  I ask so the answer can be documented on the
'create new ticket page' or somewhere on the wiki... ;)

>> However, they're still both CPU hogs...  I've been looking into the ogg
>> stuff a bit.  I think the first step is to update the ivorbis package.
>
> Ok. I try to find someone to look into that.

Great!  Though getting oprofile working (as a easy-to-install package)
is a higher priority IMHO.  Needing to move ivorbis to some combination
of low-mem, tremolo and low-accuracy mode is my best guess, but it could
be that gstreamer is doing something silly to oggs, but not mp3s, or
some other strange problem...

(see

https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1614

for ogg stuff, and

https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1193

for problems with IPC and arm's synchronization primitives.)

Also, for packages like ivorbis, which repository / distribution should
people repackage for?  Is angstrom upstream of everyone else?  Is there
a URL/wikipage somewhere?  I spent a few hours with the wiki trying to
answer this question for openmoko-mediaplayer2 last night...

-Rusty